Thursday, January 1, 2009

Tips To Get Your Kids Interested in Reading

At first, it's really hard getting your children to read. If they start reading pretty early, there's a big possibility that they will grow up and love reading. But if they don't like reading now, that doesn't mean they won't like reading when they're a little older, some learn slower than others. I, a third grader, are all ready writing books because I love to read and as my mom told me, " if you want to read a good book, you have to write it yourself." I thought to myself I want to read a really good book now, so I'm gonna start writing my own books.

Here are some tips to get your kids reading:

First, you probably want to start by telling your kids made up stories or telling them funny or scary stories about your childhood. Keep doing that for a couple months and then one night try reading them a story from a storybook. Keep that up for a few weeks and then have them read you a story every night before bed. after doing that for a while, have them read a book or a chapter from a book to themselves every night. If they seem to like that, after a couple of days try taking them to the library and getting them their own library card. After getting them their own library card, start taking them to the library every week or so and trying out new books. If they start taking too much books they can't even carry, buy or make them a book bag to bring to the library. If they start deciding they want to read a certain book over and over again, take them to the bookstore and buy that book for them.

Congratulations!!!!!!! Your child is cured!!!

Here is a picture of the book bag my mom made me for Christmas that makes going to the library easier.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic suggestions! I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful blog! I love your idea... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant "ideas". :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! You have great ideas, and you just inspired me to start going to the library again. Keep up the writing! --Love, Uncle Q.

    ReplyDelete